Thursday, May 6, 2021

Part XI - What Happened After

Greg's Departure

Eight months into my new job, I was on vacation in Greece. One morning, I received a slew of text messages from several of my company's colleagues. "Greg is gone!" "Greg got canned." "Did you hear what happened to Greg?!?!" What a way to jolt me out of my trip immersion and back to my least favorite topic from work. I let all who contacted me know I was on vacation, and I would follow-up with them when I was stateside. I knew, deep down, that he did something egregious enough to finally get fired...but what?

I know what happened by stringing together individual accounts from several colleagues--some who witnessed what happened and others who heard what happened through the grapevine. Greg Everage sexually assaulted a female staffer. It's not my story to tell, but suffice it to say, when I found out, I was disappointed but not surprised. I believe if HR (I talked to more than one HR rep, to be clear) took my complaints seriously (and perhaps whatever other feedback was provided about Greg), that this person wouldn't have been subjected to sexual assault. The warning signs were there, over and over and over again: Greg does not see women as equals. Greg intimidates women. Greg openly judges women's bodies. Greg belittles women. Greg treats his female staff like his personal secretaries. Greg discriminates against women. Yet, whenever I came forward with examples and evidence of this, HR labeled me the problem, the liability.

It took four business days until the company decided to fire Greg. Before he was walked out, he emailed some colleagues stating that he was leaving by choice and wanted to spend more time with his family. Smooth move, Greg. Not suspicious at all.

An employee who had to work with him after I transferred messaged me:

Claire: Hi Katie

Katie: Hey there! What's up?

Claire: Wanted to let you know that Greg is no longer with the organization. Can I just tell you it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. How did you last 2 years?! That's what I always wondered

Katie: Please, let's chat tomorrow. There's much, much I've wanted to tell you--but was too afraid. because I...tried. I really did.

Claire: Yes -- that'd be great

Katie: I'm glad you will finally get some normalcy. You deserve it.

Claire : I know. I'm definitely mixed emotions over here. 

Katie: Please enjoy your evening and the peace you'll have now. Oh man...

Claire: I know... so surreal! 


Where is he now?

He's employed at another major corporation doing who knows what. What I do know is people like this get fired from one job and jump to another, their dark history lost in a prior employer's HR folder. Toxic individuals given a chance to start anew. They masquerade as allies, publicly. And history, I know, will repeat itself when the past is abandoned.



Sure. He challenged who and what women can be by bullying, intimidating, mocking, harassing, belittling, and assaulting them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment